Children of Hurin

Initial forum, open for all discussions.

Children of Hurin

Postby gforce99 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:56 pm

I've just started to read this "new" book in full this week.

I actually think its great that its out and I am very pleased that old man Chris Tolkien got out of his French cottage to give us this jewel.

I wonder what notes Chris has on the 4th Age?

Anyway, I wanted to hear what fellow AN members thought of it.

Thanks.
gforce99

Re: Children of Hurin

Postby Vildar » Thu May 17, 2007 5:16 pm

gforce99 wrote:I wonder what notes Chris has on the 4th Age?
As I understand it, Christopher has pretty much published anything of worth in The History of Middle-earth.

Even the Children of Hurin, is just pulling together what has already been published in The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and The Book of Lost Tales.

gforce99 wrote:Anyway, I wanted to hear what fellow AN members thought of it.
I got it last weekend, but have yet to read it. I have read the bits from the Silmarillion and the Book of Lost Tales but that has been some time ago, so while I know the basic plot, I can't really remember the story all that well. All told, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Anybody splurge on the Collector's Edition? I must admit I was almost tempted.
"As for any inner meaning or message, it has in the intention of the author none."
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Vildar

Postby Eriol Aelfwine » Sat May 19, 2007 2:04 am

I bought it yesterday, but I can remember reading it in the HOME serie. Still it should be a good read, one worthy of ready directly to my children directly, as I have read them The hobbit, LOTR and currently the Silmarillion.

Still I will have to wait until the french version is out for them, as it his our native tongue ;)

In the preface Christopher Tolkien refer to the 'Three' big first age story that his father wrote before LOTR. One wonder if he will not eventually publish the Story of Beren and Luthien and the Fall of Gondolin (that last one would be realy cool).
Eriol Aelfwine

Postby gforce99 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:41 pm

I've read about 50 pages of the book, I have to say its nice to see some full dialogue from our host of characters. Simarilion is great, but I always missed the dialogue that we get from LOTR.

As for the other 2 Great Stories Christopher discussed, I too think it would be great, although Chris has recently said he won't publish any more.

What part of the Fall of Gondolin don't we already know?
gforce99

Postby Eriol Aelfwine » Sun May 20, 2007 1:17 am

gforce99 wrote:I've read about 50 pages of the book, I have to say its nice to see some full dialogue from our host of characters. Simarilion is great, but I always missed the dialogue that we get from LOTR.

As for the other 2 Great Stories Christopher discussed, I too think it would be great, although Chris has recently said he won't publish any more.

What part of the Fall of Gondolin don't we already know?

Well it's like you say, it's nice to see some full dialogue and narative... But the coming of Tuor to Gondolin was always a favorite of mine. But the story end when he reach the first gate.
Eriol Aelfwine

Return to Greenway